Weekends were made for lazy mornings, sipping on coffee, and a hearty breakfast that will leave you satisfied till a late lunch or early dinner. At least this is how I imagine my weekends, but this only happens every now and then. We got to have a lazy morning last weekend and I made these easy and delicious Huevos Rancheros, which translates to Rancher’s Eggs. From what I’ve read, this dish originated from cowboys in Mexico, since they needed a hearty breakfast to keep them full for a busy morning on the ranch. There’s variations of this recipe in other regions and growing up in Texas this is a popular breakfast dish as well.
The dish looks elegant, but with a few store hacks, you can have this hearty breakfast in 15 minutes! I had some leftover beans that I used to make re-fried beans, but a good quality store brand would work. I also used store bought fresh chunky salsa from the deli section. The only cooking you need to do is lightly fry the corn tortillas and cook the egg to your preference, either over easy, medium, or sunny side up. I prefer my eggs over medium with a runny yolk!
I also like Huevos Ranchers with a few slices of avocado on top, but I wasn’t able to find any ripe ones at the store. This dish can be easily customized with different meats or sauces. You can add crumbled Mexican chorizo with the beans, which by the way is so good! Or you could use black beans, and add cotija or queso fresco on top. I’ve also had huevos ranchers with enchilada sauce instead of salsa, or with green chili pork and tomatillo salsa on top. So many flavorful combinations to choose from! Make huevos rancheros this weekend and I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Huevos Rancheros- Mexican Eggs
- Oil for frying
- 1 Corn Tortilla
- 2 Tbsp Re-fried Beans Pinto or Black
- 2 Eggs cooked to your preference
- Salsa or hot sauce
- In a small frying pan, place enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, place tortilla and lightly fry about 30 seconds on each side. Place on a paper towel.
- Remove oil from pan and cook eggs to your liking, sunny side up, over easy, or over medium.
- Spread re-fried beans over fried tortilla, top with cooked eggs, and salsa.