Mexican Lentil Soup is a simple soup of lentils, potatoes, and cilantro.
Post updated on March 2020 with an updated video.
Similar to Fideo, Sopa de lentejas is an easy and affordable soup to make.
However with lentils you will get more fiber, protein, and iron.
This recipe is how my Mother in law make Lentejas, but there’s quite a few variations that also add diced veggies like carrots and zucchini. She only adds potato but you can definitely add other veggies if you like!
How to Cook Dried Lentils
Unlike dried beans, you don’t need to soak lentils, and they will cook in about 20 minutes of boiling.
You will need to wash and rinse them well, and make sure there are no foreign pieces.
Then place the washed lentils into a soup pot with 4 cups of Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth for Vegan.
It’s important to use a good quality broth for flavor. This is where all the seasoning will come from. In the video below I use Chicken bone broth for even more immune boosting properties.
Can you Freeze Lentil Soup?
Yes! My mother in law actually does this often. She make a large batch and saves small portions in zip top bags. This method makes it easy to defrost small portions for when you need a healthy bowl of comfort.
Allow the soup to cool completely, I prefer to let it cool in the fridge for a few hours, then portion into freezer friendly bags or containers.
To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight, or place the frozen bag or container in cool water for 20 minutes. Then Reheat in a pot over low heat.
The lentils will expand after cooking, if the soup is too thick then add more water or broth, and additional salt if needed.
Here are 3 other recipes that use the same tomato base mixture for Lentejas:
Watch my video on How to Make Sopa de Lentejas:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating a comment below, Thank You!
Sopa de Lentejas - Mexican Lentil Soup
- 1 Cup Dried Green Lentils Washed well
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth or Vegetable Stock for Vegan
- 2 Roma Tomatoes Halved
- 1 Cup Broth or Water
- 1/2 White Onion Cut into quarters
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Large Russet Potato Peeled and Diced to even small chunks
- Handful of cilantro with stems The whole piece of cilantro
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse dried lentils well and place in a medium pot with a lid and 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and boil for 10 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking place Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic, and 1 cup of water or broth in a blender. Blend till smooth.
- After 10 minutes of the lentils simmering, add the pureed tomato sauce, the diced potatoes, and whole cilantro. Bring the heat back to a low boil, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Check the lentils, once they are soft the soup is done. Taste for seasoning and see if additional salt is needed.
- Serve the lentil soup with more cilantro on top, and a few squeezes of lime.