Immune boosting Mexican Chicken Soup is loaded with Veggies and made with bone in chicken.
If you’re ever feeling under the weather, then this soup will help revive you. The age old saying of eating chicken soup while you’re sick, actually does have medicinal properties, especially if made with bone-in chicken. I just started learning about the health benefits of drinking bone broth, and I highly recommend you research them as well. My family has been plagued with allergies this past week, and Caldo de Pollo is just what we needed to feel better. I promise it’s that good!
The recipe is from my mother in law, and I love how easy it is to whip up together if you’re in a pinch. Sunday night we were feeling sluggish and congested. Also we didn’t eat very healthy over the weekend and I know this contributes to how we all feel too. I didn’t have anything planned for dinner but knew my family needed something to help pick us back up. I asked my husband if he wanted Caldo de Pollo, and he said that would be perfect. After I went grocery shopping, the soup was ready in about 30 minutes. To make the soup faster, I recommend buying bone in chicken that has already been butchered. I ended up buying a whole chicken and separating it myself, which does take a few extra minutes. However I was able to make bone broth with the leftover carcass. Again, so many benefits to drinking this stuff!
Enjoy this soup when you’re feeling under the weather, or just need a bowl of comfort. Either way it’s sure to make you feel better!
Here’s a video showing you how to make it!
The beef version of this soup is Caldo de Res.
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Caldo de Pollo- Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 Whole Chicken Broken down or bone in chicken pieces, seasoned with salt/ pepper. If the chicken is large then a split chicken will be enough. When I buy organic chicken they are usually smaller.
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 8 cups Water
- 1 Onion peeled and halved
- 1 Large Russet Potato cut into even chunks
- 1 Large Zucchini sliced
- 1 Cup Green Beans left whole
- 3 large Carrots large chunks
- 2 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rice or tortillas for serving
- Lime wedges Give each serving a squeeze of lime.
- In a large heavy pot, add oil over medium high heat. Place seasoned chicken pieces skin side down and brown for a couple of minutes then flip over to other side.
- After both sides are browned add water, and onion halved, cover with lid, and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to a low boil for about 10 minutes.
- Now add remaining vegetables and oregano. Allow to return to a low boil for an additional 10-15 minutes, until chicken is fully cook and carrots and potato are slightly soft.
- Turn off heat, and carefully remove onion and chicken pieces. Once chicken is cooled enough, remove skin and bone from chicken. Place remaining chicken in a bowl and shred with 2 forks, then place back into soup. If you have excess chicken just add what you want for the soup and save the remaining for another meal.
- Serve with rice on the bottom and lime wedges on the side. Or with tortillas for dipping into the soup.