Chicken Tortilla Soup is a one pot comforting meal that everyone can customize with their favorite toppings.
I love a soup where I can throw everything together at once, and there’s so chopping or sauteing involved. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is exactly that! The process is very similar to my White Chicken Chili and Chicken Taco Chili, where everything cooks all together in the Instant Pot or Slow cooker. The tortilla strips are baked instead of fried, making cleanup a breeze and healthier too!
When my husband and I were newlyweds, I remember making a version of chicken tortilla soup. I don’t think my husband had ever heard of Chicken tortilla soup, since it’s not really an authentic Mexican soup, but definitely popular in Texas where I grew up. He was impressed with the soup, but luckily I’ve had a few years to improve upon it!
There are different variations of Chicken Tortilla Soup, but I decided to make mine with enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce. This made such a big difference in flavor and added some smokiness to it. I used my homemade version, but by all means use a store bought version if you are short on time. I listed my favorite enchilada sauce below. Get a station of toppings ready, and everyone can customize with their favorites.
Don’t forget the crunchy tortilla strips!
My favorite products for this recipe:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Chicken Tortilla Soup- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 can Fire roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 can Black beans Drained/Rinsed
- 1 can Sweet Corn Drained/Rinsed
- 3 Corn Tortillas Cut into strips, drizzled with olive oil
- Avocado, Cilantro, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Greek Yogurt, Hot sauce.
- Add Chicken broth and enchilada sauce first to Instant Pot or Slow Cooker, then chicken breast, tomatoes with juices, black beans, and corn.
- Instant Pot: High Pressure for 30 minutes, then release pressure carefully. Shred chicken right in pot and serve with toppings.
- Slow Cooker- Cook on Low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. Shred chicken right in pot and serve with toppings.
Baked Tortilla Strips
- Cut corn tortillas into thin strips, place on a large baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees or until crispy. Remove and sprinkle with salt.