A thick and creamy chili made in the Instant Pot with ground beef, 3 beans, and sweet potato.
This recipe came about because I wanted to make a beef chili with sweet potatoes, but my daughter won't eat them if she sees them. Once the chili was done, I decided to mash it and what resulted was a thick and creamy chili.
I do tell my kids when I'm 'hiding' a vegetable, and they see me cooking. My daughter doesn't mind when the vegetable is mashed, she just refuses to try it when it's whole. Do what works for your family 🙂
I actually love how the mashed sweet potato gives the chili a thick consistency. It was perfect to use leftovers on hot dogs the next day.
What You'll Need
Ground Beef, Canned Beans, Tomato Sauce, Diced Sweet Potato, Beef Bouillon, and Chili Seasoning.
The ingredients for this Beef and Sweet Potato Chili are simple and everything is cooked in the Instant Pot. One Pot, less mess!
I haven't tested this recipe in a slow cooker or stovetop, so I can't provide instructions on those methods, but you should be able to covert to either of those methods.
I also decided not to use any diced onions or garlic in this recipe, because my daughter would pick those out. The flavor was still great with the chili seasoning blend.
Ground Beef- You can substitute with ground turkey, chicken, or make it meatless by using a plant based ground.
Sweet Potato- While you don't really taste the sweet potato, you can substitute white potato or even butternut squash or pumpkin puree like I use in my Turkey Pumpkin Chili.
Beans- For the canned beans, I used a 3 Bean Blend which has Pinto, Black, and Kidney beans. Feel free to use whichever types of beans you prefer for this recipe.
Chili Spice Blend- I used 2 tablespoon of a chili spice blend from Trader Joe's. To make your own use: 2 teaspoon Chili Powder, 1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon Onion Powder, and 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder.
Serving and Storing the Beef and Sweet Potato Chili
I like to serve the chili with lots of toppings and corn chips.
For my kids they like shredded Mexican cheese blend and a dollop or Greek yogurt.
For my husband and I, we do dairy free cheese, hot sauce, pickled jalapenos, diced avocado, and green onions.
This Beef and Sweet Potato chili also taste great over rice, egg noodles, or on top of mixed greens for a lighter option.
The chili can be stored in the fridge for a few day or place in a freezer safe container or bag. Frozen chili can be thawed overnight in the fridge and reheat in a pot on the stove.
I love keeping a stock pile of frozen meals to have on hand for easy dinners!
Check Out These Delicious Instant Pot Recipes:
Watch The Full YouTube Video HERE
Instant Pot Beef and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef 1 lb will be thinner, 2 lbs will be a thicker meatier chili.
- 2 tablespoon Chili Seasoning Blend This blend has chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
- 1 teaspoon Beef Bouillon or replace with 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 15 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 2 15 oz Cans of Beans I used a Tri Blend
- 1 Cup Diced Sweet Potato Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Cup Water
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheese, hot sauce, sour cream or yogurt, avocado, green onions, and corn chips.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute and allow to heat up for a minute. Add oil, Ground Beef, and cook till beef is browned. Add Chili seasoning and beef bouillon or substitute with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add both cans of drained beans, tomato sauce, diced sweet potatoes, and 1 cup of water. Combine, place lid on pot, lock and set valve to sealing. Set timer for 25 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, I prefer to let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, or you can quick release the pressure using a kitchen tool to move the valve over. Just be careful with the hot steam.
- After the valve has dropped, remove the lid and with a potato masher, start lightly mashing the chili until the sweet potato is incorporated.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like shredded cheese, green onions, hot sauce, avocado, and chips.
Want to Save this Recipe? Click on the Pinterest button below to Pin It!