Sopa de Fideo is a Mexican Noodle Soup that's made with a tomato based broth and Fideo pasta noodles.
Fideo is a simple yet flavorful soup. It's also a staple in Mexican families because it's Easy, Quick, and Affordable.
My mother in law makes sopa de fideo or sopa de letras often because my kids love it, and we enjoy a side of sopita to extend a meal. While we enjoy sopa all year round, it's especially good in the winter time to warm you up!
If you want a more filling soup, check out my Caldo de Pollo.
The ingredients for Sopa de Fideo are Minmal and can be found at most grocery stores or latin markets.
- Garlic Cloves
- White Onion
- Chicken Bouillon
- Vermicelli or Fideo Pasta
How to Make Sopa de Fideo
Sopa de Fideo is traditionally made with chicken bouillon, but you can use chicken bone broth for more immune boosting properties.
If you need the soup to be vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth or no-chicken bouillon.
Blended Tomato Sauce- This is the base for the soup and it couldn't be easier! Just add fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken broth to a blender.
Toasted Noodles- Fideo is made with small vermicelli pasta noodles which you can find at most grocery stores. They key to developing flavor is to toast the noodles in oil till they get some color.
This same method is used to make Mexican Rice.
Once the noodles are toasted, the tomato mixture gets added in, and the remaining chicken broth.
Bring to a gentle boil and 10 minutes later a you have a warm comforting bowl of sopita.
How to Serve and Store
Sopa de Fideo is best served warm right after making it. I like to serve my fideo with queso fresco and a squeeze of lime on top.
You can also add a protein, or vegetables like diced zucchini and carrots.
Refrigerate any leftovers, but keep in mind the noodles will expand. Add some water when reheating to help thin out the soup.
I recommend keeping leftovers for no more than 2 days.
Sopa de Fideo
Tomato Base Sauce
- ¼ White Onion
- 2 Roma Tomatoes quartered
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Chicken Broth or water with chicken bouillon
- Place onion, tomatoes, garlic, and chicken broth into a blender and blend till smooth, about 20 seconds.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add oil and fideo noodles. Stir around frequently till noodles develop a light brown color. About 2 minutes.
- Carefully pour in blended tomato mixture and remaining stock. Stir, cover, and bring to a gentle boil for 10 minutes. Check noodles for softness and serve warm with lime, or queso fresco.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.