Sopa de Fideo is a Mexican Noodle Soup that's made with a tomato based broth and can easily be adapted to be Vegan.
This simple yet flavorful soup is a staple in Mexican families because it's Easy, Quick, and Affordable.
My mother in law makes fideo often because my kids love it, and it can also serve as a 'caldo' to extend a meal. A.K.A a filler that's really affordable.
The soup is traditionally made with chicken bouillon, but I used Chicken broth or Vegetable broth to make it Vegan. You can also top fideo with queso fresco, avocado, or garbanzo beans like my mother in law does.
How to Make Sopa de Fideo
Blended Tomato Sauce- This is the base for the soup and it couldn't be easier! Just add sliced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken stock to a blender.
Toasted Noodles- Fideo is made with small vermicelli noodles which you can find at most grocery stores. They key to developing flavor is to toast the noodles in oil till they get some color. This same method is used to make Mexican Rice as well.
Once the noodles are toasted, the tomato mixture gets added in, and a few more cups of broth. Bring to a gentle boil and 10 minutes later a you have a warm comforting bowl of fideo.
Fideo is best served right away, but if you do plan to refrigerate it, keep in mind the noodles will expand. Just add some water when reheating to help thin out the soup.
Watch the YouTube video HERE:
Sopa de Fideo
Tomato Base Sauce
- ½ Small White Onion
- 2 Roma Tomatoes quartered
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Chicken Stock Vegetable stock, or Water with bouillon
- 2 tablespoon Oil Avocado or Olive Oil
- 7 oz Package of Fideo Noodles
- 3 cups Chicken Stock Vegetable stock, or Water with bouillon
- Water If the soup is too thick, add a little water to thin it out.
- Cilantro leaves for Garnish
- Place onion, tomatoes, garlic, and chicken or vegetable stock into a blender and blend till smooth, about 20 seconds.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add oil and fideo noodles. Stir around frequently till noodles develop a brown color. About 2 minutes.
- Pour in blended tomato mixture and remaining stock. Stir, cover, and bring to a gentle boil for 10 minutes. Check noodles for softness and serve with cilantro leaves.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want to Save this Recipe? Click on the Pinterest button below to Pin It!