Chilaquiles Verdes con Huevo is a comforting dish of crispy tortilla chips smothered in salsa verde and served with a fried egg on top.
When I think of the perfect brunch, chilaquiles are at the top of my list. We ate them often when we visited Guadalajara, especially Chilaquiles Rojos. Both versions (red and green) are delicious!
Chilaquiles verdes con Huevo, is served with an egg or two on top. I prefer a sunny side up egg since the creamy yolk goes prefect on the chilaquiles.
The ingredients for chilaquiles verdes are simple and can be customized to your preference. I’ll also include alternatives for store bought items below.
- Corn Tortillas
- Salsa Verde
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Eggs (not pictured)
- Toppings: Onion, Crema, Queso, or Cilantro
Homemade Tortilla Chips
If you are in a rush, you can use store bought tortillas chips. However, for a more authentic flavor, I recommend making your own tortilla chips.
Traditionally, the tortillas are deep fried in oil. My preferred method is to bake the tortilla chips. They turn out just as crispy, use less oil, and it’s easier to clean up.
Preheat your oven to 400° F, spray or brush a large baking sheet with oil. Stack your tortillas and slice them into 8 triangles.
Place the sliced tortillas on the baking sheet in a single layer, spray or brush the tops with more oil, and bake for 15 minutes.
Flip them over and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until they are golden and crispy. Season the chips with a little salt.
Homemade Salsa Verde
Like the tortilla chips, you can use store-bought salsa verde, especially since there are some good quality options out there. But making your own is both easy and affordable.
You can find the full recipe for Salsa Verde Here. Simply peel and wash tomatillos. Boil them in a pot with water along with some white onion and jalapeno if you want some heat.
The color of the tomatillo goes from bright green to a muted green once boiled.
Place the boiled tomatillos, onion, and jalapeno in a blender. Then add fresh cilantro, garlic, and some salt. Blend until smooth.
Now you have extra salsa verde for half the price.
How to Make
Once the tortilla chips and salsa are ready, the chilaquiles can be made in just a few minutes.
In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add a little oil and the salsa verde. Now add either chicken or vegetable broth and combine. Taste to see if additional salt is needed.
Once the sauce is simmering, add the crispy tortilla chips and stir to combine. Continue stirring for a couple of minutes, just until the chips begin to absorb the sauce.
Don’t leave them on the stove too long, otherwise, the chips will get soggy. I prefer my chilaquiles to have a little bit of crunch to them.
Serving and Storing
Chilaquiles are best served right away to avoid the chips getting soggy. I prefer a sunny side up egg, but feel free to cook it your way.
I don’t recommend storing leftover chilaquiles, instead, you can make the chips and salsa verde ahead of time. Then assemble based on the portions you need.
Chilaquiles Verdes con Huevo
Toppings: Crema, queso fresco, cotija, onions, extra salsa, and cilantro.
- If making your own salsa verde, follow the insturctions on the ingredient link above.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Stack tortillas together and slice into 8 even triangles.
- Spray a large baking sheet with oil and lay tortilla triangles evenly. Don't overlap, you can do 2 batches if needed.
- Spray the tops of the tortillas and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each one over and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non stick skillet over medium heat and fry 2 eggs to your liking. Remove eggs and set aside
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the salsa verde and chicken broth then bring to a simmer. Taste to see if additional salt is needed.
- Once the sauce is simmering, add the crispy tortilla chips. Keep stirring to coat each tortilla chip in the salsa verde. Continue cooking until some of the sauce is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to plates.
- Top chilaquiles with egg and toppings of your choice.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.