Mexican Shredded Beef is tender flavorful pieces of beef in a juicy sauce that’s perfect for tacos, burrito bowls, or scrambled with eggs for breakfast.
This Mexican Shredded Beef is so good, so tender, and packs a ton of flavor! It definitely reminds me of Chipotle’s version of Barbacoa, but I’m not going to label it as Barbacoa since the spices and meat used are different. I do have a more traditional recipe for Barbacoa using beef shanks, but it’s still not 100% authentic since barbacoa traditionally uses tongue and cheek meat. I’ve eat lengua (tongue meat) tacos before, and enjoy them, but preparing it is not my thing, so I’ll stick to chuck roast 😉
I made this Mexican Shredded Beef in the Instant Pot, but if you don’t have one, a slow cooker will work just as well. I’ve tried both ways of cutting the chuck roast into pieces and searing it, and just leaving it as is and cooking it that way. Both ways result in tender beef, but I am partial to searing the meat, especially if you are using an Instant Pot. There’s just another depth of flavor that get’s added. But if you’re in a rush, then by all means, just place the chuck roast whole in the instant pot or slow cooker.
The best part of this Mexican Shredded Beef, is how versatile it is. I show it in tacos here, but I have another recipe
coming up where I pair it with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, for a delicious low-carb meal. You can also have it in burritos with rice and beans, on top of nachos, or in breakfast tacos cooked with scrambled eggs and warm soft flour tortillas. I’m drooling just thinking about it! Make a double batch and keep the leftovers in the freezer, your future self will thank you 🙂
Products used in this post:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Mexican Shredded Beef- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 3 lbs Chuck Roast Seasoned on both sides with Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Ancho Chili Powder Can sub regular Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika Can sub regular Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano Can sub regular oregano
- 1/2 White Onion Cut in half and placed on top of the beef with the cut side up.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, or Lime Juice Added after Beef is done. This helps add some acidity to the meat.
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl. If you are searing the chuck roast then cut into even chunks and sear on all sides. Otherwise, leave whole and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Pour water into Instant Pot or slow cooker, then add chuck roast, spices, and halved onion with cut side up. (This makes it easier to remove after cooking).
- Instant Pot- High Pressure for 60 min, then release valve to venting.Slow Cooker- Low for 8 hours
- Add vinegar or lime juice then shred the meat in the pot and allow to absorb the juices. Taste and see if additional salt is needed. If freezing then freeze with some of the leftover juices to prevent it from drying out when re-heated.