Crispy beer battered shrimp loaded in a warm tortilla with guacamole, and topped with an easy spicy lime slaw.
This post has been sponsored by Modelo. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Drink responsibly. Modelo Especial® Beer. Imported by Crown Imports, Chicago, IL.
These beer battered shrimp tacos have become a favorite recipe for us to make for gatherings. The beer batter is so crispy and works great for Fish Tacos too!
Pair these tacos with and ice cold Modelo Especial® and you're ready to have a Fiesta!
Ingredients for Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos
The ingredients to make these beer battered shrimp tacos are minimal and easy to find. The only time consuming part is deep frying the shrimp.
You'll Need Large (raw) Shrimp, Flour, Beer, Avocado, Shredded Coleslaw, Tomatoes, Cilantro, Jalapeno, and Limes.
I recommend making the slaw and guacamole ahead of time and keep them refrigerated while you cook the shrimp.
How to Make the Beer Batter
Flour, Beer, salt and pepper. That’s it!
I love how using Modelo in the batter makes for a crispy crust but doesn’t feel too heavy on the shrimp.
Once the flour and beer and mixed together, get a separate plate with just flour. Each piece of shrimp need to be lightly dredged in flour before dipping into the beer batter. This helps the batter stick to the shrimp.
You can use you hands to dip the shrimp in the batter or a fork at the end of the tail.
Frying The Shrimp
You don’t need any fancy equipment to fry the shrimp. I used a heavy bottomed saucepan over my stove and enough oil to cover about an inch of volume in the pot.
Place battered shrimp in the hot oil (350°F) and fry each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
Don’t these shrimp look scrumptious!
Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to remove the shrimp and place on a wire rack to drain any excess oil. You can serve the fried shrimp right away or place the try in a 250°F oven to keep warm. I don't recommend keeping them warm past 30 minutes since they will start to get soggy.
Assembling the Shrimp Tacos
Then add a spoon of guacamole on the tortilla, 2 beer battered shrimps, and top with the spicy lime slaw.
Cheers and Enjoy Friends!
For more delicious taco recipes check these out:
Beer Battered Shrimp Taco Recipe
- 4 Cups Coleslaw Mix Packaged
- 2 Roma Tomatoes Chopped
- ½ Cup Cilantro Chopped
- 1-2 Jalapenos Chopped and some sliced for garnish
- 1-2 Limes
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Ripe Avocados Smashed
- ½ Lime Squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
12 Corn or Flour Tortillas (warmed on the stove or oven till soft)
- Mix all ingredients for slaw and set in the refrigerator. You can make a couple hours ahead of time if needed.
- For guacamole, smash 2 ripe avocados with ½ of lime juiced, and salt. Mix well and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat a heavy bottomed sauce pan with oil, at least 1 inch of oil. The temperature should be 350 degrees. Have a slotted spoon and rack to place shrimp on once it's been fried to cool down.
- If shrimp is frozen, defrost and pat dry with paper towels. Mix ½ cup AP flour with salt and pepper to dredge shrimp before dipping into beer batter.
- For the beer batter- mix flour, salt, pepper, cold Modelo Especial, and stir with a whisk until combined. You can drink the remaining Modelo 😉 Dip floured shrimp into beer batter using fingers or a fork for less mess. Carefully place into hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- To assemble tacos, heat tortillas in oven or skillet till warmed. I like mine with some brown spots. Place a layer of guacamole on the bottom of the tortillas, add 2 beer battered fried shrimps, and top with slaw. Serve with extra lime wedges or jalapenos.