Shrimp tacos drizzled with Thai red curry sauce and topped with pickled cucumbers, carrots, jalapenos, and peanuts.
These Thai Red Curry Shrimp Tacos look fancy, but they are actually so easy to make! My inspiration came from a local Phoenix Restaurant that had a Shrimp Curry Taco on their menu and absolutely loved the flavor combination. I knew I had to re-create the recipe and was excited when I nailed it the first try!
Not a fan of shrimp? These would be awesome with a grilled meat, or even grilled mushrooms for a vegan option.
How to Make Thai Red Curry Shrimp Tacos
Start by quick pickling some shredded cucumbers and carrots. Just 30 minutes is all you need and the acidity helps add some brightness and crunch to the tacos. Combine rice vinegar with some sugar and place shredded carrots and cucumbers in a jar give it a shake and place in the fridge.
For the shrimp, I used salt, pepper, and paprika for some spice and color on the shrimp.
How to Heat up Corn Tortillas
I feel like this step is overlooked when making tacos. But it makes a difference, so please take 5 minutes to heat up your tortillas. You can either do this by heating up a skillet, no oil, and place the tortillas for a minute on each side. I love getting some charred makes on them.
Or you can use the oven and place the tortillas on a baking sheet for just a few minutes, you don't want them to get crispy. Keep them warm in a tortilla warmer, foil, or wrapped in a kitchen towel.
Assemble the Tacos
Place Shrimp on a warmed tortilla, drizzle the red curry sauce, top with pickled cucumber and carrots, and garnish with sliced jalapenos, cilantro, and chopped peanuts.
Want a Low Carb Version? Use butter lettuce instead of tortillas. Just as tasty and fresh!
Here are some other tasty Thai curry recipes:
Thai Red Curry Shrimp Taco Recipe
Red Curry Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil or sub your favorite oil
- 2 Tbsp Red Curry Paste I used Maseri, which is spicier than the Thai Kitchen Brand.
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch or Arrowroot starch Mix with 1 Tbsp Water to make a Slurry
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 24 Shrimp 2 Pieces of Shrimp per a taco
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ cup Cucumber Shredded
- ½ cup Carrots Shredded
- 3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Jalapenos, cilantro, and chopped peanuts For Garnish
Pickled Cucumbers and Carrots
- Use either a mandolin with a shredding attachment or a knife to make julienne shreds with a cucumber and carrot. Place in a mason jar or small container.
- Mix Rice vinegar and sugar together to dissolve, then pour over carrots and cucumbers. Give it a good shake or stir and place in refrigerator while you make the tacos.
Red Curry Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add coconut oil and curry paste (start with 1 tablespoon if you don't want it spicy). Break it up and after a minute add the coconut milk.
- Mix well, and bring to a light simmer. Taste the sauce and see if additional curry paste or salt is needed.
- Mix Cornstarch or Arrowroot starch with water to make a slurry. Then pour into red curry sauce. Mix well, and turn the heat off. Sauce will thicken as it cools, you want the consistency of gravy. If it's still too thin then add more starch slurry. If too thick add a little bit of water.
- In a large bowl, add Oil, Salt, and Paprika to Shrimp, mix well.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, place shrimp so they are not touching each other and cook on each side till they turn pink. This only takes a couple minutes.
- Warm tortillas either on a baking sheet in a 300 degree oven, or on a skillet with no oil. I like to get some charred marks on them. Then keep tortillas warm in a tortilla warmer or wrapped in foil, or a clean kitchen towel.
- Assemble Tacos: Place 2 shrimp on a warmed tortilla, drizzle red curry sauce on top, place pickled cucumbers and carrots, then top with sliced jalapenos, cilantro, and chopped peanuts.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.