Salmon Tacos with Chipotle Cream sauce are loaded with flavor and spice for an easy taco night. Replace tortillas with Jicama wraps for a delicious low carb taco.
Fish Tacos are an easy and healthy alternative for taco night. Fish cooks quickly and the toppings and chipotle sauce can be prepped ahead of time to make this dinner come together in 20 minutes.
How's that for a fast and healthy weeknight meal!
Ingredients for Salmon Tacos
In the YouTube video, I show how to make these salmon tacos with corn tortillas or a low carb version using jicama wraps. Jicama is a crunchy and refreshing low carb alternative to traditional tortillas and pairs really well with fish.
These tacos are made with seasoned salmon, shredded cabbage or lettuce, and an easy spicy chipotle cream sauce.
Add any extra garnishes you like such as cilantro, chopped white onion, sliced radishes, avocado, or a mango salsa.
How to Properly Cook Salmon on the Stove
When cooking Salmon or any type of fish, use a thermometer to ensure the fish does not get overcooked.
If your salmon has the skin still on, it is easier to remove the skin after the fish is cooked.
Season each salmon piece with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
Heat a cast iron skillet or non stick skillet with some oil until the pan is hot. Cook the salmon skin side up first. This way the top gets an nice sear and crust on the seasoning.
The cooking time will vary depending on thickness, but I did 5 minutes first and 4 minutes on the skin side down. I remove the salmon at 140° F, then let it rest for 5 minutes.
Can the Salmon be Grilled or Baked?
Yes! To grill the salmon, place skin side down on the grill over indirect heat and cook at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until temperature reaches 140° F.
To bake salmon, place in a baking dish or sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 min or until temperature reaches 140° F, then allow to cool on the sheet pan for 5 minutes.
How to make the Chipotle Cream Sauce
This sauce is what really takes these salmon tacos over the top. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be pretty spicy, so start with 1 if you can't tolerate spice.
In a food chopper/processor add chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, along with mayo, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), lime, and salt. Pulse until the sauce is blended.
Make extra chipotle cream sauce and store in the fridge up to 5 days. The sauce may thicken after being refrigerated. Add a splash of water and mix it to loosen it up.
Use the leftover chipotles in adobo sauce for a marinade on Chicken.
How to Make Low Carb Salmon Tacos
I got these Jicama wraps from Trader Joes, but I've also see them at Whole Foods. It's just jicama that has been thinly sliced and perfect for tacos and wraps. This is my favorite way to make low carb salmon tacos.
Another easy option is to just use lettuce leaves or make a salad with mixed greens. I like doing this then crumbling up some tortilla chips on top for crunch
Leftover salmon can be stored up to 3 days in the refrigerator, however it is best eaten the same day.
Want more Salmon Recipes? Check these out:
Salmon Tacos with Chipotle Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 lb Salmon seasoned with Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder and Paprika.
- 8 Corn Tortillas or Jicama Wraps
Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- 1 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce Use more chipotles for a hotter sauce.
- ½ Cup Sour Cream, Crema, or plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ½ Lime Squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Shredded Cabbage or Lettuce, Cilantro, Limes, Avocado, Diced Onions, Radishes, etc.
- In a blender or food processor add chipotles, sour cream or Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime, and salt. Blend until creamy. Taste and see if additional seasoning is needed. Store leftovers in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Season Salmon with Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder and Paprika. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add the oil, then add salmon skin side up. This ensure the top of the salmon gets a nice sear. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on first side then flip. If the salmon is thin, then it will be less time. Cook on skin side or other side for another 4-5 minutes or until temperatures reads 145° F.
- Heat tortillas on a skillet till they become hot and soft. Or use low carb jicama wraps. Flake salmon and assemble tacos with fish, toppings, and the chipotle cream sauce.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Leave a Reply