Flour tortillas stuffed with salsa chicken and cheese, then rolled and baked for a crispy flauta.
Baked salsa chicken flautas or rolled tacos, are easy to make and a healthier alternative to fried flautas.
Difference between Flauta and Taquito?
Flautas are traditionally made with flour tortillas and taquitos are made with corn tortillas, but recipes use these terms interchangeably.
Ingredients for Salsa Chicken Flautas
Flour tortillas, Shredded Salsa Chicken, Shredded Cheese, and some oil.
Flour Tortillas- I prefer to use a thin fajita size flour tortillas for baked flautas since they crisp up well in the oven. Before you start assembling the flautas, warm your tortillas in the microwave to get them soft and pliable.
Shredded Chicken- The base is my 2 Ingredient Salsa Chicken. You can make the salsa chicken the day before or the same day if using the Instant Pot. Both red or green salsa chicken work in this recipe, whichever you prefer.
Shredded Cheese- I used a shredded Mexican cheese blend for these, but any type of shredded cheese would work. You can even omit the cheese for a dairy free version.
How To Assemble The Flautas
Start by warming the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until they are soft and pliable.
Then place a 1-2 spoonfuls of salsa chicken on the tortilla, or enough to reach end to end. Top with shredded cheese.
Place the chicken and cheese right below the center of the tortilla in order to have more coverage to roll it tightly. If it feels too loose, try rolling it again.
How to Bake the Flautas
Once you've rolled all your flautas, space them apart on the baking sheet. Spray each flauta with cooking spray from top to bottom. If you don't have an oil spray, use a pastry brush and oil.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 min, remove them and flip them over. Now the seam side is facing up.
If the seam is coming apart, spray more oil and press it back together. Then continue baking for 10 more minutes, or until brown and crispy.
If you want the flautas to be extra crispy, turn on the boiler for the last 2 minutes, just make sure they don't burn.
How to Serve Salsa Chicken Flautas
These salsa chicken flautas are perfecting for dipping in your favorite salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or queso.
My family loves having flautas for taco night, and they are the perfect size for small hands.
Can Flautas be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make these ahead of time, or reheat leftovers.
For leftovers, store flautas in the refrigerator up to 4 days. The best option is to reheat them in the oven or if you have an air fryer. I do 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
The other option is to place cooled flautas in a freezer safe bag and freeze them up to a couple months.
I also recommend reheating frozen flautas in the oven or air fryer. They'll need about 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Want more Flauta and Taquito Recipes? Check these out:
Watch the YouTube Video Here:
When you make this recipe, please leave a Star Rating and Review below, I appreciate it!
Baked Salsa Chicken Flautas
- 2 cups Shredded Salsa Chicken See Notes For Recipe
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese Your Preference
- 8 Flour Tortillas Fajita Size
- Cooking Spray or Use oil with a pastry brush.
- 1 Large Ripe Avocado Smashed and mixed with lime juice and salt
- Salsa, Queso, or Sour Cream for dipping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet with cooking oil or line with parchment paper.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds until they are just warm and pliable.Place 2 spoonfuls or enough chicken to cover tortilla end to end, and top with shredded cheese. Place chicken and cheese just below the center in order to have more area to roll the flauta tightly.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. After all flautas are rolled, space them out and spray each one with cooking oil from top to bottom.
- Bake for 10 min and turn them over. If seam is coming apart, spray more oil and press it back together.Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crispy. You can also broil for 2 minutes, but make sure they don't burn.
- Serve warm with your favorite condiments, toppings, or sides.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want to Save this Recipe? Click on the Pinterest button below to Pin It!