Flour tortillas stuffed with salsa chicken and cheese, then rolled and baked for a crispy flauta.
Baked salsa chicken flautas or rolled tacos, are a healthier alternative to fried flautas or taquitos. Flautas are traditionally made with flour tortillas and taquitos are made with corn tortillas. Once you have this easy method, the filling can be changed up to whatever you’re in the mood for. I used my Salsa Chicken as the base and added shredded Mexican cheese for the family. Make the salsa chicken the day before or the same day if using the Instant Pot. For the flautas I used flour tortillas about 8 in, and shredded 3 cheese Mexican blend.
How to Make Baked Flautas:
Start by warming the tortillas in the oven while it’s preheating to 400 degrees. It only takes about 3-5 minutes to get them warmed and soft at a low temperature.
Then place a large spoonful of salsa chicken on the tortilla, or enough to reach end to end, and top the chicken with cheese. I like to place the chicken and cheese right below the center of the tortilla in order to have more coverage to roll it tightly. If it feels too loose, try rolling it again.
Once you’ve rolled all your flautas, place them apart so there’s space in between each one. This will ensure they get nice and crispy all around. Spray each flauta with cooking spray from top to bottom. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12-14 min, turning them over halfway. I use tongs to turn them over to ensure they don’t fall apart and be sure to still keep the space in between them.
I served these salsa chicken flautas with some guacamole, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, and some pickled red onions. I’ve also served them with refried beans, a side salad, or Greek Yogurt on top. If you end up making a large batch, you can freeze them and then reheat in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Baked Salsa Chicken Flautas
- 2 cups Shredded Salsa Chicken See Notes For Recipe
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese Your Preference
- 8 Flour Tortillas Fajita Size
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Large Ripe Avocado Smashed and mixed with lime juice and salt
- Pickled Red Onions Thinly sliced red onions, pickled with lime juice and salt
- Shredded Cabbage
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet with cooking oil. Warm tortillas in the oven while it's preheating for about 3-5 min just until they are just warm and soft.
- Place 2 spoonfuls or enough chicken to cover tortilla end to end, and top with shredded cheese. I like to place chicken and cheese just below the center in order to have more area to roll the flauta tightly.
- Place seem side down on greased baking sheet. After all flautas are rolled, space them out and spray each one with cooking oil from top to bottom.
- Bake for 12-14 min and turn them halfway. I use tongs to ensure they don't fall apart.
- While the flautas are baking you can make guacamole, or any other pairings you like to serve them with.