A Mexican Mule is a refreshing cocktail made with tequila, lime, ginger syrup, or ginger beer, and topped with seltzer water.
Hands down my favorite cocktail to sip during the warmer months is a Mule. It's so refreshing and when you make it with Tequila, it's called a Mexican Mule.
The beauty of cocktail making is that once you have the base recipe down, you can customize with different spirits and add-ins to switch up the flavor.
Base Recipe for any Mule:
- Spirit (Tequila, Vodka, Gin, or Whiskey) And yes, each one makes a great mule!
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Ginger Beer (or a Ginger Syrup + Seltzer Water)
Ginger Syrup vs Ginger Beer
This is a personal preference, but I've fallen in love with this Ginga Syrup from a local cocktail mixer company here in Phoenix, Iconic Cocktail. It's all natural ingredients and lower amounts of sugar compared to ginger beer.
If I am using a ginger beer, I prefer one that has more ginger taste and less sugar. Please don't use Ginger Ale, which has a very mild ginger taste and more sugar.
How to Make a Mexican Mule with Ginger Syrup
- 2 oz Tequila Blanco
- 1 oz Ginger Syrup
- ½ oz Lime juice
- Ice and Top with Seltzer Water (I used Topo Chico)
Using ginger syrup is a great way to have flexibility with the flavors of your mule and control the sugar.
For example you can turn your Mexican Mule into a Prickly Pear Mule by doing .5 oz of Ginger Syrup and .5 oz of Prickly Pear Syrup.
You can also use different flavors of seltzer water. I loved the carbonation in Topo Chico, and they also have a lime and grapefruit flavor too!
For a polished look, serve your Mexican Mule in a copper mug for an ice cold cocktail and garnish with some fresh mint and lime slices. I have some affordable mugs linked below.
Doesn't this Mexican Mule look so refreshing!?
For More Cocktail Recipes, check these out:
Mexican Mule Recipe
- 2 oz Tequila or Spirit of Choice (Vodka, Gin, Whiskey, etc...)
- ½ oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 oz Ginger Syrup I used Iconic Cocktail Ginga Syrup
- Ice and Seltzer Water for Topping off.
- Mint Leaves and Lime Slices for Garnishing
- Add Tequila, Lime Juice, and Ginger syrup to a copper mug or glass and stir. Fill mug with ice and top with seltzer water. Garnish with mint leaves and lime slices.
- If using ginger beer- Mix tequila and lime juice in a mug or glass and stir. Add ice and fill with Ginger Beer.
Want to Save this Recipe? Click on the Pinterest button below to Pin It!