A Mexican Mule is a refreshing cocktail made with tequila, lime, ginger syrup, or ginger beer, and topped with seltzer water.
Hands down my favorite cocktail to sip during the warmer months is a Mule. It's so refreshing and when you make it with Tequila, it's called a Mexican Mule.
The beauty of cocktail making is that once you have the base recipe down, you can customize with different spirits and add-ins to switch up the flavor.
Base Recipe for any Mule:
- Spirit (Tequila, Vodka, Gin, or Whiskey) And yes, each one makes a great mule!
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Ginger Beer (or a Ginger Syrup + Seltzer Water)
Ginger Syrup vs Ginger Beer
This is a personal preference, but I've fallen in love with this Ginga Syrup from a local cocktail mixer company here in Phoenix, Iconic Cocktail. It's all natural ingredients and lower amounts of sugar compared to ginger beer.
If I am using a ginger beer, I prefer one that has more ginger taste and less sugar. Please don't use Ginger Ale, which has a very mild ginger taste and more sugar.
How to Make a Mexican Mule with Ginger Syrup
- 2 oz Tequila Blanco
- 1 oz Ginger Syrup
- ½ oz Lime juice
- Ice and Top with Seltzer Water (I used Topo Chico)
Using ginger syrup is a great way to have flexibility with the flavors of your mule and control the sugar.
For example you can turn your Mexican Mule into a Prickly Pear Mule by doing .5 oz of Ginger Syrup and .5 oz of Prickly Pear Syrup.
You can also use different flavors of seltzer water. I loved the carbonation in Topo Chico, and they also have a lime and grapefruit flavor too!
For a polished look, serve your Mexican Mule in a copper mug for an ice cold cocktail and garnish with some fresh mint and lime slices. I have some affordable mugs linked below.
Doesn't this Mexican Mule look so refreshing!?
For More Cocktail Recipes, check these out:
Mexican Mule Recipe
- 2 ounce Tequila or Spirit of Choice (Vodka, Gin, Whiskey, etc...)
- ½ ounce Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 ounce Ginger Syrup I used Iconic Cocktail Ginga Syrup
- Ice and Seltzer Water for Topping off.
- Mint Leaves and Lime Slices for Garnishing
- Add Tequila, Lime Juice, and Ginger syrup to a copper mug or glass and stir. Fill mug with ice and top with seltzer water. Garnish with mint leaves and lime slices.
- If using ginger beer- Mix tequila and lime juice in a mug or glass and stir. Add ice and fill with Ginger Beer.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.