Chicken Wings in a Thai style marinade and perfectly cooked on the grill
Summer is around the corner and grilling season is in full effect! This chicken recipe is a family favorite and for being Thai, it’s actually mild in spice. However they are best enjoyed with a spicy papaya salad, or with sticky rice and veggies.
Whenever we visit my parents, my mom either makes her Thai Spare Ribs, or these Thai Chicken wings with Papaya Salad. She would make these in the oven and bake them till they were crispy, but last 4th of July, my hubby offered to cook them on the grill. I could tell my mom was skeptical, because she was concerned they would taste too burned if cooked on the grill. Well Danny quickly put her fears to rest when she tried one of the wings. They were perfectly grilled, tender, juicy, and not burned from the charcoal. Granted it did take an hour to grill on indirect heat, but we hung out in the pool to pass the time. Swimming also helps work up an appetite!
The marinade uses ingredients found at your local grocery store, however Golden Mountain Soy sauce may need to be purchased at the Asian market or here on Amazon. It’s important to use this soy sauce as opposed to regular Japanese soy sauce since the flavor profile is different. I marinated this batch for 4 hours and they had lots of flavor. If you’re short on time, try to marinate the wings for at least an hour. I’ve also marinated them overnight, which results in lots of flavor.
The key to getting Perfectly Grilled Wings, is to use indirect heat. If you don’t have a heat deflector, then have your charcoal on one side of the grill and place wings on opposite side. Have your gill at 320 degrees, cook one side for about 25 minutes, and flip the wings over for another 20 minutes. Check the temperature with an instant thermometer and remove them promptly when they reach 165 degrees. Allow the wings to rest for 5 minute and then you can enjoy them!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Perfectly Grilled Thai Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings in a Thai style marinade and perfectly cooked on the grill.
- 3 lbs Chicken Wings
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- ½ cup Cilantro with Stems
- ¼ cup Oyster Sauce
- ¼ cup Golden Mountain Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Rough chop Cilantro and place in a food processor with peeled Garlic Cloves. Pulse till it forms a paste, you may need to add a couple tablespoons of water.
- Remove blade and add Oyster Sauce, Golden Mountain Soy Sauce, and Black Pepper. Combine with a spoon.
- Place Chicken Wings in a large gallon zip bag and pour marinade over wings. Let all the air out of the bag, seal it, and mix wings well with marinade.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, turn over half way. You can leave these overnight as well, or if short on time, at least an hour to get some flavor on the wings.
- Have grill set to 320 degrees. Place wings on indirect heat on the grill and cook for about 25 minutes on one side and 20 minutes on the other side. Check temperature with an instant thermometer and remove once it reaches 165 degrees.
Allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve with steamed rice, sticky rice, veggies, or a salad.