Crispy, crunchy, and so much flavor in Thai Fried Spring Rolls.
You’ll find spring rolls on the streets of Bangkok at the night markets, and they’re one of the most popular appetizers at Thai Restaurants here in the U.S. They pair perfect with a Thai sweet chili dipping sauce, and you could even have them as a light meal with fresh lettuce leaves and herbs. Growing up, my mom always made these for any party we had at the house. If you’re having a party, family get together, or need a dish for a pot luck, then these crispy spring rolls will be a hit!I’ve mentioned before that I try to avoid cooking fried foods at home, since it’s always a hassle to clean up afterwards. My mom was here visiting and it’s always nice to have a helping hand in the kitchen. The recipe I made is for a large batch, 50 spring rolls to be exact. You can definitely cut the recipe in half, but I will tell you that for our family gathering of 8, these were all gone! Once you start, you can’t stop! If you’re worried about self control, you can make the full recipe, roll all the spring rolls, and then place them in a zip top freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Then you can take as many as you want and fry them right from frozen.I used ground chicken thighs in this recipe, but you could swap that for ground pork, turkey, shrimp, or make them vegetarian. For shrimp spring rolls, just take whole shrimp that’s been peeled, tails removed, and place in a food processor till it’s slightly ground up. To make it vegetarian, you could add shredded cabbage, that’s been slightly cooked with some oil. You’ll want about 2 cups cooked, which would be about 3-4 cups of fresh shredded cabbage. I prefer green cabbage, but I’ve seen it with purple cabbage as well. Either way the combination will be delicious!
Thai Fried Spring Rolls
Crispy, crunchy, Springs rolls filled with meat and vegetables.
- High heat oil for frying Spring Rolls
- 2 Packs of 25 count Spring Roll Wrappers, in the freezer section. Keep frozen until ready to use.
- 8 oz Clear Glass or Bean Thread Noodles (Soaked in warm water till soft)
- 2.5 oz of Dried Black Mushrooms Soaked in water till soft.
- 2 Cups of Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro stems included
- 2 lbs of Ground Chicken Pork, or Turkey (See Post for substitutions on Shrimp or Cabbage to make vegetarian)
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp of Golden Mountain Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp of Mushroom or Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp White Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- Remove frozen spring roll wrappers and place on counter. They will thaw while the filling is put together.
- Soak noodles and dried mushrooms in separate bowls until soft. Once soft, cut noodles with kitchen shears into smaller pieces. Drain both and add to a large mixing bowl.
- If making vegetarian, then cook shredded cabbage with a tablespoon of oil until slightly softened. If using shrimp, then place in a food processor until slightly ground.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and using you hands, with gloves to make it less messy, mix everything until incorporated.
- You can also do a taste test, by place a spoonful into a microwave bowl and heat on high for about 30-45 seconds.
Rolling the Spring Rolls:
- Use a large cutting board as your work surface.
- Place 1 sheet of spring roll wrapper onto your board and have it in a diamond shape instead of a square. Add a large spoonful of filling into the lower part of the wrapper and spread to about 4 in width in the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom portion over the filling and smooth it over the filling to shape the spring roll. Then fold the left and right sides up against the filling and smooth over. Then roll upwards and seal with your finger dipped in water or a scrambled egg.
- Once you have all your spring rolls done, heat oil in a fryer or large heavy pot to 350 degrees, deep fry until spring rolls are golden brown.
- If saving, place spring rolls in a zip top freezer bag and freeze up to 3 months. When eating remove from freezer and fry spring rolls frozen until golden brown.
- Serve with Sweet Chili sauce.