Banana Spring Rolls are an easy fried dessert with just 2 ingredients, bananas and spring roll wrappers.
Growing up, I wasn't a fan of eating bananas plain, but anytime my mom made these fried banana spring rolls I loved them! Especially when she would serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This dessert is easy to make like my other spring roll recipes: Shrimp in a blanket and Crispy Cheese Rolls.
The ingredients are minimal:
- Spring Roll Wrappers
- Flour + Water (to seal the rolls)
You can add additional ingredients when serving like ice cream, chocolate sauce, honey, or caramel sauce.
Spring Roll Wrappers
We're using Spring Roll wrappers that can be found in the freezer section of most Asian Grocery stores. These are the same wrappers I use for my Thai fried spring rolls.
Start by removing the spring roll wrappers from the freezer and allow them to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
The wrappers get stuck together, therefore you'll need to peel apart each wrapper and wrap them in a clean kitchen towel so they don't dry out.
If the wrappers feel dry, get a slightly damp paper towel and wrap them to keep them moist.
Leftover spring roll wrappers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an air tight zip bag.
In Thailand, bananas are smaller and sweeter. Sometimes you can find this type of banana at an Asian market. But in this recipe I'm using regular yellow bananas and just slicing them into smaller pieces.
Slice each banana in half then each half lengthwise, and slice lengthwise again. You will get 8 strips from 1 banana.
Feel free to add any additional ingredients to the banana spring roll. If you prefer to have it sweeter you can add brown sugar. Or some crushed peanuts for crunch.
How to Roll
Start by making a 'glue' by combining equal parts of all-purpose flour and water in a small bowl. Stir until completely smooth.
Place one wrapper on a work surface and have it in a diamond shape. Add 1 banana strip in the middle of the wrapper.
Bring up the bottom, tuck it under tightly, fold over the left and right side, then roll up to the top. It should be nice and tight, if it feels loose, re-roll it again.
Dip your finger in the 'glue' and add it to the top of the wrapper to seal the banana roll.
Place on a plate and cover with a clean towel while you finish rolling the rest.
How to Fry
Add a high heat oil to a small pot or deep fryer and heat to 350 degrees F. I'm using canola oil. Once the oil is hot, place a few banana rolls in, but don't overcrowd the pot.
Once the rolls start developing some color, carefully flip each one over. Don't overcook the rolls, otherwise, the banana will get too soggy.
Once the outside is golden brown, remove with tongs and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool.
Frequently Asked Questions
For the best taste, I don't recommend making these ahead of time. The banana will continue to release moisture in the wrapper and may cause the wrapper to get too soggy. Luckily these are really easy to make and can be enjoyed right after deep frying them.
I have not tested this recipe in the air fry myself, but if you try it let me know how it turns out.
How to Serve and Store
Banana spring rolls are best served right away. They taste delicious as is, but you can make it more of a decadent dessert by drizzling honey, caramel, or a chocolate sauce.
Dust the top with powdered sugar or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, my favorite way to eat them!
If you have leftovers, you can try reheating them in an oven or air fryer. Just keep in mind the banana can make the wrapper soggy.
These banana spring rolls are a great dessert to get the whole family involved. Let everyone roll up their rolls and set out toppings and ice cream for serving. It's so much fun!
Banana Spring Roll Recipe
- Canola Oil or any high heat oil for deep frying.
- 2 Bananas
- 16 Spring Roll Wrappers
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Water
Toppings: Powdered Sugar, Honey, Chocolate Sauce, Caramel Sauce, Whipped Cream, or Ice Cream.
- Remove the package of spring roll wrappers from the freezer and allow them to thaw on the counter for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and water until combined. You want the consistency of glue.
- Slice each banana in half, then lengthwise twice to get 8 strips from 1 banana. Set aside.
- Peel the spring roll wrappers apart from each one and cover with a clean towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Place one wrapper on a work surface and have it in a diamond shape. Add some of the flour and water paste to the top of the wrapper.
- Add 1 banana strip in the center. Bring the bottom over, then both sides, and roll tightly to the top. Press to form a seal with the wrapper and paste. Continue wrapping all the bananas.
- Add oil to a large skillet or pot. You want enough oil to cover the banana roll at least halfway. Heat oil to 350 F.
- Use tongs to place banana spring rolls into the oil. Fry for a few seconds on each side until golden. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Leave a Reply