Crispy Cheese Rolls made with spring roll wrappers and filled with cream cheese and mozzarella for an easy yet delicious appetizer.
Best part, they are just 3 ingredients plus 1 egg to use as the sealer.
What Kind of Wrapper to Use
You need to find frozen Spring Roll Wrappers, like the ones pictured below. Most Asian markets will carry these wrappers in the freezer section.
These are the same wrappers I use in my Shrimp in a blanket rolls.
Keep the wrappers frozen until you are ready to make the rolls. Leave them on the counter for 30 minutes to thaw.
Remove the wrappers from the bag and you'll see they are all stuck together. You'll need to peel and separate each wrapper. Keep them covered with a clean kitchen cloth to prevent them from drying out.
Cream Cheese Filling
I'm using 1 block of cream cheese and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese for the filling.
This filling is delicious as is, but can also be customized for different flavor combinations. Diced Pineapple for a sweet version, or bacon and jalapeno for a popper version.
How to Roll the Cheese Rolls
Take one spring roll wrapper out at a time and leave the rest covered with the towel.
Start with the spring roll wrapper in a diamond shape, dip your finger in the beaten egg and spread on top of the wrapper. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese filling in the lower middle part of the wrapper.
Then fold the bottom up and spread out the filling to make a tube shape. Bring each side over, smooth out the filling and roll it up to the top.
The rolls should be tight and sealed well.
How to Cook the Cheese Rolls
I prefer to shallow fry the cheese rolls for the best taste. Here are some tips with frying the cheese rolls:
- Place the cheese rolls in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Make sure the oil is hot enough before you start frying, 350° F is perfect.
- The cheese rolls don't need to fry long since there isn't any raw ingredients in the filling. Once they are golden brown, remove them and place on a rack to cool before serving.
Common Questions and Answers
If the cream cheese is at room temperature and placed in the frying oil it has more of chance to leak out of the wrapper. Placing the cheese rolls in the fridge first to firm up and ensuring the oil is hot enough, will help minimize the cheese leaking out.
Yes! I tested a batch with my convection oven and they turned out good, just not as crispy as frying them. Spray oil on the cheese rolls and place on a baking rack and cook for 10-15 minutes at 400°F or until the rolls are slightly browned.
I don't have an air fry to test on, but my convection oven is pretty similar to an air fryer, so I think it's possible.
Serving and Storing the Cheese Rolls
I like to serve the cheese rolls with bottled sweet chili sauce. They taste best served right away, however you can also make them ahead of time and keep them warm in a 175°F oven for up to an hour.
If you need to keep them longer or overnight then allow cheese rolls to cool completely and place in a air tight container in the fridge.
To reheat, place them on a backing rack in a 350°F oven for about 5 minutes or until they are warmed through.
Crispy Cheese Rolls
- Remove spring roll wrappers from freezer and allow to thaw on kitchen counter for 30 minutes. Once thawed, open the package and carefully peel apart each wrapper and keep covered with a clean kitchen cloth. Otherwise they will dry out quickly.
- In small bowl, crack an egg and beat until smooth. This will be used to seal the cheese rolls.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 block of cream cheese with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese until combined.
- Take one spring roll wrapper out at a time and leave the rest covered with the clean kitchen towel. Start with the spring roll wrapper in a diamond shape, dip your finger in the beaten egg and spread on top of the wrapper. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese filling in the lower middle part of the wrapper.
- Then fold the bottom up and spread out the filling to make a tube shape. Bring each side over, smooth out the filling and roll it up to the top. The rolls should be tight and sealed well.
- Place the cheese rolls in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up. Heat vegetable or canola oil in a heavy bottom pan until it reaches 350° F. Place a few cheese rolls into the oil and fry until the outside is golden.The cheese rolls don't need to fry long since there isn't any raw ingredients in the filling. Once they are golden, remove and place rolls on a rack to cool before serving.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.