All the flavors of jalapeno poppers in a crispy wonton. These jalapeno popper wontons can be made ahead of time and baked in the oven for an easy appetizer.
I'm using my baked cream cheese wontons as the base recipe and adding crispy bacon, jalapenos, and shredded cheese for a flavorful bite!
Ingredients for Jalapeno Popper Wontons
We need just 5 ingredients- Wonton Wrappers, Cream Cheese, Bacon, Jalapeno peppers, and Shredded Cheese.
Start by removing the block of cream cheese and place it on the counter to soften.
Then cook the bacon until crispy. I prefer the oven method and you can use the same baking sheet for the wontons.
Refer to this post on how to cook mess free bacon in the oven. While the bacon is cooking, dice your jalapenos. If you really want these to have a kick, try using serrano peppers.
For the shredded cheese, I'm using a 3 cheese blend, but feel free to use mozzarella, monterrey jack, or cheddar cheese.
Combine cream cheese, bacon, jalapenos, and shredded cheese in a large bowl until incorporated. At this point the filling can be stored in the fridge overnight in an airtight container, or use it now.
Where to Find Wonton Wrappers
Wonton wrappers or skins can be found in the refrigerated section at a big chain grocery store or definitely at an Asian market. These are the same wrappers I use to make my homemade wonton soup.
Sometimes, Asian markets will have wonton wrappers in the freezer section. Just leave them on the counter for 30 minutes to defrost. I prefer using the square ones, but if you can only get round ones, they will work too. The shape will just be a half circle instead.
How to Fold Jalapeno Popper Wontons
Keep the wontons refrigerated until you're ready to use them, otherwise they will dry out quickly. Once you are ready to make the jalapeno popper wontons, remove a few of the wrappers at a time, and keep the rest in the package or under a clean kitchen towel.
You'll also need a small bowl of water, which will be our 'glue'. On a work surface, have 1 wonton wrapper in a diamond shape.
Dip your finger in the water and wet the edges of the wrapper. Place a spoonful of the filling in the center, and fold in half to make a triangle.
Smooth out any air bubbles and squeeze the edges together to form a tight seal. If the wrapper is dry, add more water to create a seal.
Gently press down on the center to evenly distribute the filling. Be careful to not press too hard, since the filling can pierce the wrapper.
How to Bake the Wontons
Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking oil or line it with parchment paper. Place the folded jalapeno popper wontons on the sheet with about a finger space in between.
Spay them lightly with avocado or olive oil spray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip each one over and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Remove the wontons and arrange on a plate to serve while they are still warm.
Can these be Made Ahead of Time?
The filling can be made a day ahead of time, then remove 30 minutes before so the cream cheese has time to soften.
You can also store baked and cooled jalapeno popper wontons in the freezer up to 3 months in a zip top bag. Reheat them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the filling is warmed through.
Garnish with some sliced jalapeno slices and watch them disappear!
Have some leftover wonton wrappers? Try out these recipes:
Baked Jalapeno Popper Wonton Recipe
- Oven and Baking Sheet
- 30 Square Wonton Wrappers keep refrigerated
- 8 oz Block Cream Cheese Softened
- 4 oz Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 6 Slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 2 Jalapenos
- Olive or Avocado Oil Cooking spray
- Allow cream cheese to soften at room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook Bacon until crispy, then dice into small pieces.
- Wash Jalapenos, slice off the tops, then down the middle. Remove the seeds, slice into strips, then dice into small pieces.
- Mix softened cream cheese with cooked bacon, diced jalapenos, and shredded cheese.
- Leave wonton skins in their package until you are ready to use them. If they feel dry, cover with a slightly damp towel.
- Dip finger in water and run along entire edge of wonton wrapper. Place a spoonful of mixture in the middle and fold together to form a triangle. Press along entire edge and release any air bubbles. Gently press down in the middle to distribute the filling. Don't press too hard or the wrapper will rip.
- Place folded wontons on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet and spray tops of wontons with more cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip over and bake for another 3-5 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
You can also store baked and cooled jalapeno popper wontons in the freezer up to 3 months in a zip top bag. Reheat them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the filling is warmed through. More wonton recipes: Wonton Soup Taco Wonton Cups Cream Cheese Wontons
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.