Sonoran Hot dogs are wrapped in bacon and loaded with lots of toppings for a unique spin on your typical hot dog.
This popular Mexican hot dog is customizable with different Mexican inspired toppings, making it perfect for a-build-your own sonoran dog.
These hot dogs are a hit for cookouts and family gatherings since everyone can choose what toppings they want.
How to make a Sonoran Hot Dog
It’s pretty easy and requires just wrapping a piece of bacon around a hot dog link. If you are making these for a party, you can wrap all the hot dogs and keep them refrigerated until ready to grill.
I actually recommend putting them in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up before grilling.
When you grill the hot dogs, be sure to cook with the seam side down to prevent the bacon from unraveling. Grill Hot dogs over indirect heat to warm the links and then place over direct heat to crisp up the bacon.
This is where the magic happens! Get as creative as you like with the toppings, but I’ll go over some of the basics plus options.
Diced tomatoes- Or you can use a store bought pico de gallo.
Chopped White Onion- Or you can do grilled sliced onions for even more flavor.
Pinto Beans- Or buttery Peruvian Beans
Sliced Avocado- Or Guacamole
Mexican Crema- Or sour cream. Sometimes you’ll see mayonnaise too.
Ketchup- Not many substitutes for ketchup, but you can do a flavored ketchup.
Pickled Jalapenos- Or pickled onions for less spice.
I know this may seem like overkill for a hot dog, but trust me it goes so well together. My tip is to prep all the toppings ahead of time and have them ready before grilling the hot dogs.
With all these toppings, you need a strong vessel to hold everything together. In Mexico they use soft bolillo rolls. You can sometimes find them in Mexican markets, otherwise try using a premium hot dog bun that is sturdy.
Warm them up on the grill slightly just before serving to get them nice and warm.
Here a some other great recipes to go with your Sonoran Hot Dogs:
Did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a star rating and comment below! Thank You!
Sonoran Hot Dog
- 8 Soft Bolillo Rolls or Premium Hot Dog Buns
- 8 Hot Dogs
- 8 Strips of Bacon
- 2 Roma Tomatoes Diced
- ½ White Onion Diced
- 1 Cup Beans Canned or Homemade
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- Mexican Crema or sour cream
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Wrap Hot dog links evenly with 1 piece of bacon, place seam side down in a dish. Once all links are wrapped, place in fridge to firm bacon up and have it adhere to the link. About 15 minutes, but can keep overnight if prepping ahead of time.
- Prep tomatoes, onions, avocado, and any other toppings you plan on using.
- Grill Hot dogs over indirect heat to warm the links and then place over direct heat to crisp up the bacon. Remove and place on a warm hot dog bun.
- Load up the toppings- Top with beans, tomatoes, onions, avocado, crema, ketchup, and jalapenos.