Baked Chicken Milanesa is a quick and healthier version of traditional Milanesa de Pollo. This recipe is also gluten free, but can be made with regular panko too.
Traditionally, Milanesa is made by coating chicken with bread crumbs or ground saltine crackers and frying it in oil.
I wanted to make a baked version and found these Gluten Free Panko at the store. You can use regular panko, but this is a great option if you need it to be gluten free.
The ingredients to make baked chicken milanesa are easy:
- Chicken Breast
- Garlic Salt
- Cooking Oil Spray
How to Make
Start by halving your chicken breast and pound till they are all an even thickness. This will help the milanesa bake evenly and quickly.
Then scramble 1 egg and pour over cutlets and move around till all pieces of chicken have been coated. Season each cutlet with garlic salt and spoon a layer of seasoned panko bread crumbs over each cutlet.
Bake at 415 degrees for 15 min then broil for 2 minutes till the top is slightly browned.
How to Serve and Store
I served the baked milanesa with a simple side salad and avocado. We also enjoy eating it with Espagueti Blanco, a Mexican pasta with sour cream.
Leftover milanesa can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Keep in mind when re-heated in the microwave it won't be crunchy. You can re-heat in an air fryer or oven until the chicken is warmed through.
Baked Chicken Milanesa Recipe
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees. While oven is preheating place panko bread crumbs on a baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. You just want a light golden color on them.
- Butterfly chicken breast all the way through and pound till they are all an even thickness. This will help the milanesa bake evenly and quickly. I like to place the chicken between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap and use a heavy rolling pin to pound.
- Whisk 1 egg and pour over cutlets on a large plate and move around till all pieces of chicken have been coated. Place chicken on a greased baking sheet and season each cutlet with garlic salt.
- Spoon a layer of seasoned panko bread crumbs over each cutlet, flip over to put panko on other other side of the chicken
- Gently spray the tops of each cutlet with cooking oil. If you're too close the panko will blow away. Bake at 415 degrees for 15 min then broil for 2 minutes till the top is slightly browned. Use an instant thermometer to verify chicken is at 165 degrees. Serve warm.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.