This Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry is perfect to use up leftover veggies and makes a healthy meatless meal.
I had to emphasize the 'healthy' part of this dish because stir-fry's are not always healthy. Soy sauce packs in a good amount of sodium and there's usually sugar in the stir fry sauce. But this tofu and vegetable stir fry uses Coconut Aminos, a healthier alternative to soy sauce. If you've never heard or used Coconut Amino, definitely check it out. It's very common in Paleo cooking since it is soy and gluten free, and the taste is similar to soy sauce with a sweetness to it. The major health benefit is that it has 65% less sodium than regular soy sauce, huge difference. I love using it for dipping sushi and wontons too.I packed in quite a bit of veggies into this stir fry. That's the beauty of a stir-fry, you can use any vegetables you like to eat, and whatever needs to get used up in the fridge. I had made a soup a couple days before, and had leftovers of different veggies from dinners as well. You don't have to use tofu either, you can substitute a meat, or leave it out for just a veggie stir fry. It's really up to you!
How to cook the tofu
Even when using firm tofu, it can still be very delicate in a stir fry. You could just add it as is for a softer texture, but I prefer to slightly fry the tofu then add it back into the stir-fry.
- Start by slicing the tofu into even cubes then allow them to dry between 2 paper towels. You want to remove as much water as you can from the tofu.
- Then place enough oil in a wok or non-sick pan to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Just a thin layer. Have heat on medium high.
- Place tofu into oil gently and cook on each side until they turn a light golden color. You can use small tongs to flip the tofu pieces.
- Remove tofu and place on clean paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt.
You don't have to use a wok for stir-fry's, however it does make it easier to move the ingredients around quickly without everything falling off the side. If you don't have a wok, then use a deep skillet, or dutch oven works well too.
This page contains affiliate links. If you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. The price of the item does not increase with the affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Healthy Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 3 tablespoon Oil Or enough to coat an entire non stick pan or wok
- ½ Carton Firm Tofu Cut into even cubes
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ½ Onion White or Yellow, cut into cubes
- 3 Dried Chili Peppers Optional for Spice, or can use red pepper flakes
- 1 Zucchini Chopped
- 1 Cup Broccoli Florrets
- ½ Cup Green Beans Cut into 2 in pieces
- 1 Carrot Sliced
- 2 Cups Cabbage Cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoon Coconut Aminos Use more or less depending on the amount of vegetables you are using.
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- For the tofu: Drain the water out, cut the tofu into desired pieces, and place on a few sheets of paper towel both on the bottom and on top. Let the water absorb for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large non stick pan with oil, enough oil to cover the bottom, over medium high heat.
- Pan fry the tofu for a couple minutes till they reach a light golden color. You can use small tongs to turn the tofu pieces over. Then remove the tofu and place on paper towels. Season lightly with salt.
- If there is still a lot of oil in the pan, you can remove till you have about a tablespoon left in the pan. Have heat on medium, add Onions and Garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all you veggies, Coconut Aminos, chili peppers or flakes, and turn heat to medium high. Stir fry for a couple minutes, till veggies get slightly tender. Add tofu, toss gently with vegetables. Taste and see if additional salt or pepper is needed.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.