A Hearty and Healthy Salad of Kale, Quinoa, Carrots, and a creamy Peanut Dressing that’s very addicting.
‘Meal Prep’ has various meanings for people, but to me it means taking a few extra minutes when making a meal, double it up, and having it ready to eat in containers that are easy to grab and go. And that’s exactly what this Kale and Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing is!
The secret to a good kale salad
The secret to any type of salad involving kale is….
Massaging the kale!!
Yes, you need to massage the kale leaves to make them soft, and breakdown the fibers. It also makes the kale less bitter when eating it raw. I love using kale in salads because it holds up well to dressing and even after massaging it, it won’t get mushy like other greens or lettuce.
How long can the salad be stored?
I tested this Kale and Quinoa salad 2 different ways, 1 with the dressing mixed in and the other with the dressing on the bottom.
Dressing mixed in: 1-2 days, then it starts to get soggy.
Dressing on the bottom: 3 days, but when you eat the salad you’ll have to mix it well with the kale.
Dressing on the side: You can keep the salad stored in mason jars for 5 days, then mix the peanut dressing when you are ready to eat.
I also added some shredded carrot to the salad for some color and crunch. You can add other crunchy veggies like purple cabbage, shaved brussels sprouts, or chopped raw broccoli. The Kale and Quinoa salad is good on its own, but even better with some grilled chicken, steak, or fish. Also give a good squeeze of lime for brightness and top with crushed peanuts.
Watch how I make this salad:
You’ll also want to make a double batch of the peanut dressing, because it’s so good and addicting! It’s perfect with these Chicken Lettuce wraps. Or as a dip/sauce for veggies, any kind of protein, or for Fresh Spring Rolls.
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Meal Prep Kale and Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing
- 8 Cups Kale Leaves washed and rinsed well
- 1 Carrot Shredded
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- Sprinkle of Salt
- Crushed Peanuts to top Salad
- Lime Wedges To squeeze on salad before eating.
- ½ Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar Can substitute White or Apple Cider
- 1-2 tsp Fish Sauce Start with 1 then add more if needed
- ½ tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha or Hot Sauce
- Water Add a teaspoon at a time to thin out the dressing or until desired consistency is reached.
- Mix all ingredients for Peanut dressing with a whisk or fork, Add splashes of water while mixing to thin it out until desired consistency is reached. The dressing can be stored in an air tight container up to one week.
- Wash and Rinse Kale leaves, once dried, massage leaves with hands till leaves get soft and wilted. This is an important step!
- Get one carrot and make julienne shreds. Add Cooked Quinoa and a sprinkle of salt, Mix well.
- Store in mason jars without dressing or with dressing. See notes Below on storage.Give a squeeze of lime over the salad before eating and top with crushed peanuts.
- Dressing mixed in: 1-2 days, then it starts to get soggy.
- Dressing on the bottom: 3 days, but when you eat the salad you’ll have to mix it well with the kale.
- Dressing on the side: You can keep the salad stored in mason jars for 5 days, then mix the peanut dressing when you are ready to eat.