Thai Red Curry with chicken, sweet potato and kale taste authentic, but I'm using non-traditional ingredients for a healthier spin on Thai Curry.
I love testing out different flavor combinations and this curry came together with ingredients I had on hand. I've always liked the combo of sweet potato and kale and it gives the curry a good nutritious boost.
That's the beauty curry, you can add any protein or veggies you like and it will work out!
What Kind of Curry Paste To Use
Since we are using curry paste it's important to be familiar with the different types of curry paste that are available.
The one I share in this recipe is the Maseri Brand. The majority of Asian curry pastes will be more concentrated and spicier than curry pastes sold in major retail chains.
If you need the curry to be Vegan or don't have fish sauce, then substitute salt.
Chicken Option and Meatless Option
I've made this red curry several times and initially only used Sweet Potato and Kale, and loved the way it turned out.
The next time I wanted to add a little more protein, so I added a can of garbanzo beans, and some diced red bell pepper for some color and crunch.
So you can see how versatile the curry can be in regards to your add-ins. This version with chicken was filling and I was able to make the curry stretch to about 6 servings. Not bad at all!
How to Make Red Curry Chicken with Sweet Potato and Kale
Slice your Chicken breast, dice up some sweet potato, rinse and break apart some kale leaves.
In a large pan add your coconut oil and curry paste over medium heat. Take caution because the curry paste can splatter if the pan is too hot.
Then add sliced chicken and turn the heat up to medium high. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
Add the diced sweet potatoes and 2 cans of coconut milk. Give the cans of coconut milk a good shake to mix the hardened cream part with the liquid part.
Place the lid on and allow curry to simmer for 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
After 10 minutes, taste the curry, and add condiments if needed. I did a tablespoon of fish sauce and a teaspoon of coconut sugar.
Once the curry is seasoned to your liking, turn off the heat, add in kale leaves, and cover for a few minutes to wilt the leaves.
Serve with Jasmine rice, brown rice, noodles, cauliflower rice, or zoodles.
Check out these curry recipes:
Here's my YouTube video on how to make Thai Red Curry Chicken with Sweet Potato and Kale:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you make this dish? Leave a comment and star rating below.
Thai Red Curry Chicken with Sweet Potato and Kale
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or oil of your choice
- 1-2 Tbsp Red Curry Paste Maseri and Mae Ploy brand is a lot spicier, 2 Tbsp will be pretty spicy. If you are using the Thai Kitchen Brand, then you'll need to use double or more to get the same spice level and flavor.
- 1 lb Sliced Chicken Breast or Protein of your choice
- 1 Cup Diced Sweet Potato
- 2 Cans Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce Use more or less depending on your taste and the type of curry paste you used. Or can substitute salt.
- 1 tsp Coconut Sugar Or Regular sugar and use more or less depending on your taste.
- 3 Cups Kale Rinsed, and leaves broken apart.
- Rice, Noodles, Zoodles or Cauliflower rice For serving
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot with a lid over medium high heat. Add curry paste and stir in oil until it becomes fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add chicken breast and coat with curry paste, cook till no longer pink.
- Add diced sweet potato and stir to coat in the curry paste. Add both cans of coconut milk and give it a good stir. Close lid and bring to a light boil, then stir and reduce heat to simmer until sweet potato becomes tender. About 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Taste first, and see if it needs fish sauce and sugar. All curry pastes have different flavor profiles, so always taste first to see what is lacking.
- Add kale and place lid on to wilt for a couple minutes. Serve with Rice, cauliflower rice, zoodles, or noodles.