Thai Basil Chicken or Pad Kra Pao Gai, is a spicy stir fry made with Thai basil and Chicken.
This version is not as authentic but similar to the basil dishes you'll find at your local Thai restaurant here in the U.S.
Authentic Pad Kra Pao uses Thai Holy Basil and usually minced meat, but the holy basil can be difficult to find. Thai Basil on the other hand, is a more accessible and typically sold in most Asian stores.
In Thailand, you'll find this dish served with a fried egg on top. Since Pad Kra Pao is usually made very spicy, the egg helps bring down the heat. To fry the egg use a non stick pan with some oil to get the egg nice and crispy.
I've even had this dish for breakfast sometimes! If you don't prefer spicy food, then start with just one chili pepper since the basil in the dish will make it spicier.
How to Make
Begin by thinly slice the chicken breast and marinate in 1 teaspoon of Golden Mountain Soy Sauce. Then pound Thai chilies and garlic in a mortar. If you don't have a mortar, a food processor will do, or you can finely chop them.
Saute the garlic chili mixture with a tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium heat for about 20 seconds, then add chicken breast, turn the heat to high, and cook thoroughly.
Add onions, bell pepper, green beans, jalapeno, and soy sauce mixture. Cook for a couple of minutes, then turn off the heat and add Thai Basil. Give it a good stir and its ready to serve.
Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound Chicken Breast or chicken thighs
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Thai Chili's Use more or less depending on spice tolerance
- 1 Jalapeno Sliced seeds removed for less spice
- ¼ Onion Sliced thin
- ½ Red Bell Pepper Sliced thin
- 1 Cup Green Beans cut in 1 in. pieces
- 3 Cups Thai Basil Leaves washed and removed from stalk
- 1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Golden Mountain soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Fried Egg per serving
- Thinly slice the chicken breast and marinate in 1 teaspoon of Golden Mountain Soy Sauce.
- Pound Thai chili's and garlic in a mortar. If you don't have one, a food processor will work, or you can finely chop them.
- Saute chili's and garlic in a tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium heat for about 20 seconds, then add chicken breast and cook thoroughly.
- Add onions, bell pepper, green beans, and soy sauce mixture.
- Cook for a couple minutes, then turn off the heat and add Thai Basil. Give it a good stir and its ready to serve.
- For each serving top with a crispy egg that's slightly runny and rice.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.