Vegan Chorizo encompasses the flavors of Mexican Chorizo in a Walnut and Quinoa based mixture for a crunchy and filling meatless taco.
Chorizo is a staple in Mexican cuisine and it packs a ton of flavor, but it's definitely not the healthiest thing to eat. I love creating recipes that encompass similar flavors but pack a punch health wise. I've seen a few recipes for 'Vegan Chorizo' and some include mixing nuts with cauliflower, or mushrooms to get the same texture. I had some tri-color quinoa so I decided to use that with some walnuts and sundried tomatoes.
I would not consider this a replacement for traditional Mexican chorizo. Instead, I think of it as a substitute for the flavors, but with added health benefits. The mixture is crumbly and perhaps would work well with a base of refried beans. But since I was trying to make it a healthy meal, I opted for some spicy guacamole to give it creaminess and healthy fats. I also had some bagged salad in the fridge so I put that on the bottom of the tortillas with a squeeze of lime. Pro Tip- Everything tastes better with a squeeze of lime or lemon!
Aside from being as dairy free as I can, I don't follow any particular diet. Instead, I eat food that I enjoy and try to make healthy swaps here and there. While I love a good piece of steak, I also love eating a plant-based meal like these tacos or my buffalo cauliflower tacos. Having a variety of foods makes me happy and I love exploring new tastes and textures. Eat what makes you feel good and in turn, your body will love you back.
Be sure to tag me on IG @ThaiCaliente if you make any of my recipes and follow me on Pinterest to save them to your boards.
Vegan Chorizo Tacos
- Corn tortillas warmed until soft
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Shredded lettuce or coleslaw mix with a few squeezes of lime
- 1 Cup Raw Walnuts
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa I used Tri-Color
- 2 Tbsp Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1-2 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce Depending on your spice tolerance
- 1 Tbsp Taco seasoning OR spice blend below:
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Ripe Avocado smashed
- ½ Lime Squeezed
- Pickled Jalapenos chopped fine (As many you can handle)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients for Vegan Chorizo into a food processor and pulse until mixture is chopped up and crumbly. Spread evenly onto baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, stirring half way and remove once edges get some crisp to them.
- Smash a rip avocado with chopped jalapenos, lime juice, and salt. Stir and taste.
- Warm corn tortillas in oven with residual heat until they become soft.
- Assemble tacos with coleslaw mix on bottom and squeeze lime juice on top, then add Chorizo mix and top with spicy guacamole.