A Hearty Chili made with ground Turkey, Garbanzo beans, and creamy pumpkin puree for a protein-packed one pot meal.
*Edited on 4/11/2018, Instructions for Instant Pot and Slow Cooker included.
This recipe isn't really 'Mexican' but it does have some Mexican flavors and it's definitely a family favorite. Turkey pumpkin chili is one of those dishes that I have on rotation and fall back on when I can't think of what to make for dinner. It's made in the slow cooker, so there's little prep time involved, and it's the perfect dinner for a cold night. The recipe is from Skinny Taste's new cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow. I love this book since all the recipes can be made either in the slow cooker or 30 minute quick and healthy meals.
Now that I've made it several times in the Instant Pot, I actually prefer this method. It's faster, 25 minutes, and it has more flavor locked in. The best part is that you don't have to dirty a separate saute pan to brown the ground turkey. Instead, you can saute it right in the Instant Pot and mix everything else in the same pot to cook. I'm all for less dirty dishes!
At first, I was a little hesitant to try a chili with pumpkin puree, but it really adds a nice flavor and thickness to the chili. Not to mention, I love pumpkin anything in the fall/winter. The original recipe uses ground turkey breast. However, I prefer ground turkey which is a mixture of dark and white meat. I also add chickpeas to make the chili a little heartier. I've even had it with canned corn and that tastes great too. The kids love this chili and the spice level can be adjusted to suite your family's taste. We like the chili topped with shredded cheese, a dollop of Greek Yogurt, chopped chives or cilantro, and chips or cornbread for dipping.
Turkey Pumpkin Chili- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 lb Ground Turkey Can Use 1 lb of Turkey for less meat
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 15 oz Can White Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz Can Whole Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Optional 1 Can of Corn
- 1 15 oz can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 4.5 oz Can chopped green chiles Mild or Hot diced green chilies for spice or you can omit for no spice.
- 3 cups Low sodium chicken broth Or I use Chicken Bouillon and Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shredded Cheese, Greek yogurt, or Sour Cream, Chopped Cilantro, or Chives. Chips or Cornbread make great additions too.
- Press Saute function on Instant Pot, add oil, onions, and garlic. Saute till soft and remove.
- Leave on Saute function, add ground turkey and brown, breaking it up until fully cooked.
- Add onions and garlic back to the pot, along with beans, pumpkin puree, green chiles, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Close lid, and place valve to Sealing. Set timer to 25 min, high pressure. Once timer goes off, do a quick release. Remove lid, take out bay leaves, stir chili and taste for more seasoning.
- Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and 2 teaspoon of oil
- Add onions, garlic, and sauté until onions become soft. Add to crock pot.
- Add turkey and brown, breaking it up until fully cooked. Add to crock pot.
- Add beans, pumpkin puree, green chiles, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and add more salt or pepper if needed.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.