A hearty chili made with ground turkey, beans, and creamy pumpkin puree for a protein-packed meal.
Turkey pumpkin chili is one of those dishes that I have on rotation during the Fall and winter months. The pumpkin flavor is not very forward, and instead adds a nice creaminess to the chili.
The ingredients for this chili are easy and mostly consist of canned goods.
- Ground Turkey
- Onion and Garlic
- Pumpkin Puree
- Garbanzo Beans
- White Beans
- Diced Green Chilis
- Chicken Broth
Instant Pot Method
After making this recipe numerous times in both the slow cooker and instant pot, my preferred way is the instant pot. Personally I love how fast it cooks and only one pot gets dirtied.
The onions, garlic, and turkey are sautéed directly in the instant pot. Then all the ingredients get added and cooked at high pressure for 25 minutes.
Slow Cooker Method
For the slow cooker, sauté the onions, garlic, and turkey in a skillet. Then transfer to a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Serving and Storing
The toppings really take the chili to the next level and can be customized to your liking. I like the turkey pumpkin chili topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped chives, and chips or cornbread for dipping.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stove or microwave. The chili tastes even better the next day once the flavors have developed more.
Turkey Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 pounds Ground Turkey Can Use 1 lb of Turkey for less meat
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 (15 oz) White Northern Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) Garbanzo Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 (4.5 oz) Green chiles Mild or Hot diced green chilies for spice or you can omit for no spice.
- 3 cups Low sodium chicken broth Or use Chicken Bouillon and Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shredded Cheese, Greek yogurt, or Sour Cream, Chopped Cilantro, or Chives. Chips or Cornbread make great additions too.
- Press Saute function on Instant Pot, add oil, onions, and garlic. Saute till soft and remove.
- Leave on Saute function, add ground turkey and brown, breaking it up until fully cooked.
- Add onions and garlic back to the pot, along with beans, pumpkin puree, green chiles, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Close the lid, and place the valve to sealing. Set timer to 25 min, high pressure. Once the timer goes off, do a quick release. Remove the lid, take out bay leaves, stir chili, and taste for more seasoning. Serve with toppings of your choice.
- Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and 2 teaspoon of oil
- Add onions, garlic, and sauté until onions become soft. Add to crock pot.
- Add turkey and brown, breaking it up until fully cooked. Add to crock pot.
- Add beans, pumpkin puree, green chiles, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves, taste, and add more salt or pepper if needed. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.