All the Flavors of Traditional Thai Fried Rice with a Fraction of the Calories.
Fried rice is definitely one of those dishes that's full of comfort and flavor all in one bowl. Thai fried rice gets its unique flavor from fish sauce and soy sauce seasoning. In an attempt to make this dish lower in sodium and gluten free, I replaced the soy sauce seasoning with Coconut Aminos and used about half of the fish sauce. Replacing rice with cauliflower rice provides a similar texture but without the guilt of eating a whole bowl of rice.
These days you can find riced cauliflower either in the frozen vegetables section or bagged in the produce section. You can also make it yourself by placing raw cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse till it resembles rice grains. I actually prefer the texture when you make it yourself, but usually I'm in a rush and just need a quick and healthy meal, so pre-made cauliflower rice works just as well.
If you decide to use frozen cauliflower rice, then I would recommend microwaving it for about 2-3 minutes, then placing it in a strainer with paper towels to remove excess water. This helps prevent the fried rice from becoming too mushy. Same goes for the frozen peas and carrots, you can microwave them for a minute till they get partially warmed.
I used Chicken for this recipe, but you can use any protein you prefer, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Spam, Shrimp, or keep it vegetarian and omit meat all together, the choice is yours and you can get as creative as you like. Be sure to serve the rice with a squeeze of lime and some siracha sauce for spice. Thai fried rice is traditionally served with sliced cucumbers as well. This makes about 6 servings so it's great for a healthy meal prep, and it keeps in the fridge for a couple of days.
Thai Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken
- Wok or Large Frying Pan
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 lb Chicken or protein of your choice sliced/cubed and mixed with 1 Tbsp of Coconut Amino
- ½ Onion small diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 12oz Bags of Cauliflower Rice (Fresh, Frozen, or make your own)
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbs Coconut Amino (have more on hand if needed)
- 2 Tsp Fish Sauce (have more on hand if needed)
- ¼ Tsp Ground White Pepper
- Lime wedges and sliced cucumber for serving and green onions for garnish.
- If using frozen cauliflower and veggies, then warm in the microwave for 2-3 minutes till slightly warmed. Then place in a strainer lined with a paper towel to remove any liquid. If using fresh cauliflower rice, then proceed with next step.
- Slice Chicken or protein of your choice and marinate with 1 Tbsp of Coconut Amino and set aside.
- Mix remaining 2 Tbsp of Coconut amino with 2 tsp of fish sauce and set aside.
- Heat a large wok over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil. Add Chicken and cook thoroughly.
- Remove chicken, add remaining oil and saute onions and garlic till soft. About 2 minutes. Then add eggs and allow to set for a minute, then scramble.
- Add cauliflower rice, peas and carrots, and sauce. Stir well.
- Add cooked chicken back in and combine. Then add white pepper. Once everything is hot it's ready to serve. Taste and see if additional soy sauce or fish sauce is needed.
- Squeeze fresh lime and serve with sliced cucumbers and garnish with green onions.