Have you bought an Instant Pot yet? I don’t think I’ve ever been so passionate about a gadget, well aside from my Blendtec, which also is amazing! Everything I use to make in my slow cooker is now made in the Instant Pot and in a fraction of the time. Like this Chicken Pho, which normally takes hours to simmer the broth, but just 20 minutes in the Instant pot rendered a nice flavorful broth.
My kids love to eat Pho, which is a Vietnamese Noodle soup that can be made with Chicken, Beef, or even Seafood. There’s also versions of Thai noodle soups, but my kids prefer the simplicity of pho. I mentioned in my previous post that I love using Rotisserie Chicken as a time saver. You can use a whole chicken for this recipe, but I love that I was able to make this soup in about an hour with the help of a store bought rotisserie chicken.
They key to getting a flavorful Pho broth is in the spices. I use this spice blend, which has all of the pho spices together so you don’t have to buy each one individually. I also add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic for more aromatics. Once I pull all meat from the rotiesserie chicken, I place the carcass into the instant pot with water, the Pho spice mix, and about a tablespoon of salt. Make sure the valve is on sealing and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Keep in mind it will take about 20 minutes or so to reach pressure, so your looking at around an hour to make the broth. Which again is way better than simmering for 4 hours on the stove.
For the noodles I use these rice stick noodles and soak them in warm water for about an hour. Once you are ready to serve the soup, have a small pot of boiling water and place one serving, about a large handful of noodles and boil for about a minute or until soft. Then place noodles into bowl, top with the hot chicken Pho broth, and add pieces of the rotisserie chicken. You’ll want to just boil a serving at a time of noodles since they will stick together when boiled. If you have leftovers you can store the drained, pre-soaked noodles in the fridge in a zip lock bag. Serve the pho with fresh basil, mint, lime wedges, and if you like bean sprouts. I personally don’t like bean sprouts. Pho broth is mild in flavor, so taste it and add additional salt, fish sauce, or Hoisin sauce as needed. Of course I like mine with some spice and add Sriracha to it as well. Enjoy!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Pho
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken Meat removed and stored seperately. Carcass will be used for broth.
- 1 Pho Spice pack link in blog post above.
- 2 Carrots halved
- 2 Celery halved
- 1 White Onion halved
- 3 Whole Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Package Medium Rice Stick Noodles
- Basil Mint, Lime, Bean Sprouts, Fish Sauce, Hoisen Sauce, or Sriracha for Serving
- Remove all the meat from the rotisserie chicken. My husband likes white meat and I prefer dark meat so I store them in separate containers to use for the soup. Place rotisserie Chicken carcass into the instant pot. If you are using a fresh chicken, then place the whole chicken, giblets removed, into the pot and remove meat after it's done cooking.
- Add spice packet, carrots, celery, onion, garlic. Add water to max Fill line of your Instant Pot, then add salt. Place lid, lock it, and turn valve to Sealing. Set on high pressure for 20 minutes. It will take around 20 minutes or so to come to pressure.
- While the broth is cooking, soak rice stick noodles in warm water for about an hour.
- Once the timer goes off, place a towel over the valve and quick release the pressure. (Use caution since there will be a lot of steam).
- Remove chicken carcass and all the aromatics. I also like to pour the broth through a strainer or cheese cloth to get a nice clear both. Place strained broth back into instant pot to keep it warm.
- Have a small pot of water on high boil and grab a handful of soaked noodles and place in pot to cook for about a minute. Using a spider or pasta spoon, remove noodles from water and place into a large soup bowl. Keep the pot of water boiling if you are making several bowls. Only boil noodles 1 serving at a time since they will stick together.
- Place pho broth over the noodles and add chicken pieces. Serve immediately with condiments.