Roasted delicata squash seasoned with chili powder and paprika topped with feta cheese and roasted pepitas.
Delicata squash has a mild taste, similar to butternut squash, but less sweet. This squash is easy to prepare since there is no peeling required and you can eat the skin after it is cooked.
Acorn Squash can also be roasted with the skin on and eaten after it is cooked.
You can find delicata squash in season from late summer to early winter, making it a great side dish or vegetarian dish for the holidays.
- Delicata Squash
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Feta or Cotija Cheese
- Roasted Pepitas
How to Roast Delicata Squash
Start by washing the squash really well since we are not peeling the skin. Slice the squash halfway lengthwise and remove all the seeds.
Cut into ½ inch half moons and place them on baking sheet in a pile. Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning. The seasoning is a blend of chili powder and smoked paprika. Similar to what I used on my sweet potatoes here.
Use your hands to distribute the seasoning and arrange the delicata squash in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Place in a 400° F oven and roast for 20 minutes, flipping each piece over halfway through the baking time.
The squash should be caramelized on the outside and soft on the inside.
How to Serve
Removed the roasted delicata squash from the baking sheet and arrange it on a serving plate. Sprinkle with some feta or cotija cheese and roasted pepitas.
For a sweet topping, try pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries.
You can also try different nuts like pecans, walnuts, or pistachios instead of the pepitas.
I love the presentation of the delicata squash on a plate, it just screams Fall.
To complete your Thanksgiving dinner here are some of my favorite recipes:
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Delicata Squash Rinsed thoroughly, then halved with seeds removed, and cut into ½ half moons.
- Feta Cheese and Roasted Pepitas for Topping You could also add pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash delicata squash well, since the skin will be part of the dish. Pat it dry, then slice halfway lengthwise and remove all the seeds. Cut into ½ inch half moons and place on baking sheet in a pile.
- Add Oil and spice blend to squash and mix well with your hands to distribute evenly. Then space them apart on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning them over once halfway through. You want the squash to be soft and have some caramelization on them.
- Place delicata squash on a serving plate and garnish with Feta or Cotija cheese, roasted pepitas, and optional pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and depends on ingredients and amounts used. Thai Caliente makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.